Saturday, February 2, 2019

Cervidae Peak Hike

I just climbed Cervidae Peak for the 27th time.  In late 2017 I decided to climb this peak once per month as part of a goal to get outside and hike more.  I've managed to accomplish that and it's been enjoyable getting to know a single peak so well.  Since climbing this peak regularly I've made a number of observations:

  • Cervidae sightings are very rare now.  I believe I've only seen animals on 3 out of 17 recent trips.  10+ years ago such sightings were almost guaranteed.
  • Some days the trail is very busy.  In April I saw 43 people on the trail during a 90 minute hike.
  • Only once (a Fall evening) have I been the only person on the peak.
  • The Mormon crickets show up in July and make a hot hike even more unpleasant.  Later in the summer they get more lethargic and are less bothersome.
  • A brush fire from ID-21 burned the west slopes of the peak in July.  Red fire retardant was dropped all over the upper slopes of the peak and is still visible.
  • Certain people like to write messages all over the rocks at the summit.  They are apparently not fans of the Leave No Trace Principles.
  • People hiking "up and over" the peak (climbing it twice on one trip) is pretty common.
  • My favorite time to climb the peak is just before sunset during the warmer months.
  • Snowshoeing the peak under a full moon is pretty great too!

This time around I was able to enjoy Spring conditions in early February with mild temperatures and minimal snow.  Green shoots of grass were popping up everywhere.  I saw three other people on the trail, two dogs, one boat on the lake, and no cervidae.

In summary, this is a great local hike that can be done in under four hours from the time I leave the house.  I'll try to keep up the habit of climbing it as long as I can!

Cervidae Peak #27 Photos
GPS Track

Cervidae Peak #6 Trip Report
Cervidae Peak #5 Photos
Cervidae Peak #4 Trip Report
Cervidae Peak #3 Trip Report

No comments: